Thursday, May 16, 2013

Do you ever make mistakes?


The above was on my Facebook news feed this past week. As a young adult, I remember watching Bob Ross on our local PBS station, WNMU. If you are not familiar with his work, watch this short sample.


Anyone considering making online teaching videos could learn a lot from Bob Ross. He treats the viewer as an apprentice. We get to watch him engage in an authentic act. And as he engages in this act, he describes what he is doing and why he is doing it. Let me amend what I wrote at the beginning of this paragraph: Any teacher could learn a lot from Bob Ross.

PS: When John Golden (@mathhombre) found out I was writing this post, he asked me to include the following. I do it gladly. The idea of "happy accidents" fits with my efforts at graceful imperfection.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this! I loved Bob Ross as a kid. I'm redoing materials for an online college algebra class this summer, and I think I'll make a point of watching some more happy trees on YouTube, before I start redoing the videos.

    ReplyDelete

TEDxGrandValley